NZ Govt. Clean Car Programme
From 1 April 2022 the NZ Govt. Clean Car Programme will come into effect. This will consist of rebates and fees for new and used eligible vehicles the first time they are registered in New Zealand, based on CO2 emissions.
If you choose to buy a vehicle from one of our Authorised Volkswagen Dealers, and choose a zero or low-emission vehicle, you may be eligible for a rebate. The lower the emissions the greater the rebate.
Fees will also be imposed on vehicles with higher emissions in recognition of the increased environmental and economic costs they are imposing.
Vehicles with moderate emissions will not incur a fee or be eligible for a rebate.
Eligibility criteria is set out in further detail in the Land Transport Act 1998 and any regulations made under that Act.
In short, the following eligibility criteria must be met:
- The vehicle must have a safety rating of 3 stars or more on the Rightcar website at the time of registration: www.rightcar.govt.nz
- The vehicle must have been purchased for less than $80,000 (New Zealand dollars), including GST and on‑road costs (the purchase price).
- The rebate is payable only to the first person registered to the vehicle (regardless of ownership), unless the first person registered is a registered motor vehicle trader (ie the Dealer you purchase the vehicle from).
How to Apply
In completing the application you will be required to provide the following supporting documentation:
- a copy of the vehicle offer and sale agreement (or such alternative documentation as Waka Kotahi deems necessary in the circumstances);
- proof of the registered person's bank account;
- GST number if the vehicle is being used for business purposes.
The rebate available to you will depend on the type of vehicle you have purchased and the time at which the vehicle is registered.
The following are the indicative rebates:
For vehicles purchased between 1 July 2021 and 31 March 2022
1 July 2021–31 March 2022
Battery electric vehicle
Plug-in hybrid electric vehicle
Note that Rebate applications for vehicles registered between 1 July 2021 and 31 March 2022 that meet the eligibility criteria will only be accepted until 31 May 2022 (if funding permits).
For vehicles purchased after 1 April 2022
Vehicle carbon emissions
0 (zero emissions)
1 to 56
57 to 146
$3450 less (emissions X $20 X 130/145)
$8625less (emissions X $50 X 130/145)
0 (zero emissions)
1 to 56
57 to 146
All figures are inclusive of GST and the final amount of rebate paid will include GST.
The NZ Govt. Clean Car Programme will also see vehicles which emit higher rates of CO2 subject to fees.
The person who registers, for the first time, any new or used vehicle with carbon dioxide emissions of 192 grams or more per kilometre must pay the fee calculated pursuant to the formula set out under regulation 7 of the Land Transport (Clean Vehicle Discount Programme Charges) Regulations 2022.
- The above figures for rebates and fees are indicative only.
- Where we have indicated the dollar value of a rebate or fee for a vehicle elsewhere on our website or in our marketing materials, that figure is indicative only.
- If rebate funds are exhausted at any given time, no rebate will be paid. Once the Programme restarts, only vehicles registered from the restart date that meet the eligibility requirements will qualify for a rebate.
- While we do our best to make sure that information available on this page is accurate and free from errors, we do not guarantee its accuracy.
- The NZ Govt. Clean Car Programme is not administered by the Giltrap Group. We do not accept liability for any loss or damage which may result either directly or indirectly from reliance by you upon the accuracy or currency of information contained on this page or any information published by any third party (such as Waka Kotahi) about the Clean Car Programme.
- This page contain links to other websites (“Linked Websites”). As the content and maintenance of Linked Websites is out of our control, please be aware that we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of those websites. Links on this page to Linked Sites do not necessarily endorse those Linked Sites.