Servicing and maintenance
Servicing and maintenance
There are many benefits to owning an electric car, including simple and cost-effective maintenance and servicing.
What are the benefits for you?
- Electric vehicles have fewer moving parts than a conventional petrol/diesel vehicle, meaning cost effective servicing.
- Easier and more efficient maintenance requirements when your vehicle is in for a service.
- We always use genuine Volkswagen parts to keep your vehicle 100% Volkswagen.
- All our parts and labour come with two years warranty and fitted by Volkswagen trained technicians.
- Our nationwide dealer network will have you covered, right across New Zealand.
Easier to run
Electric vehicles still need to be serviced just as often as petrol or diesel equivalents, but you can still save money on maintenance. The German Institute for the Automotive Industry (IFA) has found that costs for electric car maintenance are around 35% lower.
Electric cars have just half a dozen components, making them simpler to maintain than petrol or diesel cars, which have hundreds of parts. Electric cars also make more use of engine braking than traditional vehicles, so there is typically less wear on the brakes over a similar period.
Reducing wear and tear
You can help lower your maintenance costs even further. Extend battery life by not running your car with a charge of less than 20% for extended periods of time. Electric cars also generate more instant torque than petrol cars, so gentler acceleration is recommended to help keep your tyres healthy for longer.
What's different about an electric service?
Your electric car will require regular servicing, just like a petrol or diesel car. We carry out all the usual roadworthiness checks, but the rest of your service is quite different.
When you bring your electric vehicle in for a service, we check for all the usual service items legal requirements, such as wear on the braking system, your headlights and tyre condition.
But your electric car service will also include the following checks:
- Charging cable: we check that cable is present and visually check its condition.
- High-voltage battery: we check the charge level and recharge if necessary.
- High-voltage components and high-voltage cables: we inspect these for damage and correct routing and securing of lines.
- Oil changes a thing of the past.
- Unlike petrol and diesel vehicles, electric vehicles don’t need an oil change - because there’s no oil to change! This can also save you money.
Servicing your electric vehicle
Our fully-authorised technicians are electric experts. From checking the battery to servicing the motor, they are trained to keep your electric Volkswagen performing at the highest level. Discover all the ways we’re here to help.